Family and Matrimonial Law
Strategic, Intelligent, Private
Leaders and the spouses of leaders of finance, law, entertainment, sports, real estate, and members of America’s prominent families, rely upon the attorneys of our family law group. From start to finish, we work side-by-side with our clients to identify reasonable objectives and achieve the best possible results.
We represent spouses in New Jersey and nationally in high net worth and high profile divorces. Our representation for clients has not simply followed the law, it has helped to shape it. We look to solve problems, not create them. We understand that our client’s privacy is paramount. Clients place their trust in our lawyers to protect themselves and their families, and we work hard to earn and keep it. We strive to identify creative solutions to resolve matters amicably, while being prepared to litigate when necessary.
Uniquely positioned as thought leaders in the field, we use our expertise to counsel clients and advocate on their behalf. We are the co-author of the leading family law treatise in New Jersey, The New Jersey Family Law Practice. We author and lecture on the complexities involved in representing clients with significant estates, including the treatment of trusts in divorce, business valuation, identifying hidden assets and income, and the protection of separate property. We handle all aspects of custody, visitation, and paternity issues, and do so with the sensitivity each particular case demands. We are the co-authors of Drafting Prenuptial Agreements and counsel clients in the negotiation and drafting of prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.
Our track record for clients led U.S. News – Best Lawyers to repeatedly name our family law group as one of the Best Law Firms and leading family law practices in New Jersey. Our attorneys are regularly identified by New Jersey Super Lawyers, Best Lawyers, Law Dragon Top 500, and other publications as family law leaders in New Jersey and nationally. We have served as Chairs of numerous local, state, and national family law associations, including the American Bar Association Family Law Section, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (New Jersey Chapter), New Jersey State Bar Association Family Law Section, and New Jersey Family Law Inns of Court.
- Drafting Prenuptial Agreement, Red Flags: The Top Questions (Aspen 2019)
- Only the Strong Survive: The Treatment of Survivorship Interests in Divorce
- Social Security and Divorce: Essential Considerations for Family Law Practitioners. 2018 Family Law Symposium Seminar Material.
- “Getting Started with the Divorce: What You Need to be Prepared,” AAML- New Jersey Chapter website, 2018.
- Silver v. Silver: A Decision that Must be Referenced in Every Domestic Violence Trial Under New Jersey’s Prevention of Domestic Violence Act 2016 Hot Tips in Family Law Seminar Material.
- "Time to End the Disparate Treatment of Non-Dissolution Custody Matters," New Jersey Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers Blog, 2016
- How a Trust May Impact Your Divorce Case (2015)
- Unchartered Territory of Amending Prenuptial Agreements (2015)
- Deposition Practice: The New Jersey Experience, American Journal of Family Law (2015)
- Avoiding Common Misuses of Financial Experts at Trial, 2015 Hot Tips in Family Law Seminar Material.
- “Divorce and the Family Business,” AAML-New Jersey Chapter website, 2015.
- How a Trust May Impact Your Divorce Case, ABA Family Advocate (2015)
- Quoted in “Palimony Litigants Dispute Whether Writing Requirement is Retroactive,” New Jersey Law Journal, 2014.
- Retained Earnings: Prudent Business Practice or Support Dodge, New Jersey Law Journal (2013)
- Drafting Premarital Agreements, Aspen Publications (2012)
- “Members On The Same Team – Forensic Accountants, Attorneys and Clients,” (co-author) appearing in Divorce: The Accountant as Financial Expert, by Kalman A. Barson, CPA, published by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), 2011.
- Grandparent Visitation, New Jersey Elder & Disability Law Practice (2010)
- Building the Financial Aspects of a Divorce Case: Discovery and Analysis of Hidden Income and Assets (2010)
- Prenuptial Agreements: Avoiding the Minefield, New Jersey Law Journal (2010)
- Avoiding Deposition Pitfalls, New Jersey Family Lawyer (2010)
- The Treatment of Trusts in Divorce (2009)
- Quoted in “Recession, Divorce and Home: They Don’t Mix,” SmartMoney Magazine, 2009.
- The Treatment of Intellectual Property in Divorce, New Jersey Lawyer Magazine (June 2009)
- Analyzing Hidden Assets and Income in Divorce, New Jersey Law Journal (August 2008)
- Protecting Your Business from Divorce, Commerce: The Business of New Jersey (March 2008)
- "The New Secret Weapon: Retroactive Counsel Fees," The New Jersey Law Journal, 2007
- "The Rules of Engagement," The New Jersey Law Journal, 2007.
- Securing a Term Alimony Obligation, New Jersey Law Journal- Family Law (August 2007)
- Critical Considerations in Matrimonial Agreements: Insurance Trusts, New Jersey Lawyer In Re (January 2007)