Please note that no aspect of advertisements or any other accolade listed have been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Learn more about the standard methodology for each award listed.
Jonathan is Co-Managing Partner of Skoloff & Wolfe, P.C. and Chair of the firm’s Matrimonial and Litigation Departments. He focuses his practice on business litigation and matrimonial disputes.
Jonathan began his career in the litigation department of Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy in New York. He uses his background in financial disputes to represent leaders or the spouses of leaders from the finance, real estate, professional and entertainment/sports communities in complex matrimonial matters. A significant portion of his practice is devoted to business valuation, private equity/hedge funds, treatment of trust assets in divorce and the protection of non-marital assets. He also assists clients in all other aspects of matrimonial and family law, including custody and parenting time, and the preparation of marital, prenuptial and mid-marriage agreements.
Jonathan’s commercial litigation experience includes representing publicly and privately held corporations, partnerships and individuals in complex, high-stakes business disputes. In a victory that received national attention, he successfully defended a hedge fund against multi-billion dollar civil racketeering and conspiracy claims. He has experience pursuing and defending a wide range of business and investment disputes, including claims for breach of contract, fraud, negligent misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference, unfair competition, breach of restrictive covenants, and misappropriation of trade secrets. He has successfully represented clients at the trial and appellate levels in the state and federal courts in New York, New Jersey and the United States Supreme Court. He frequently serves as local counsel for out of state law firms. Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.
Selected Professional Awards and Recognition
Jonathan has been listed as one of the “Leading Lawyers In America” by Best Lawyers, one of the nation’s “500 Leading Lawyers” by Lawdragon, and recognized by Super Lawyers for nine consecutive years. Best Lawyers named Mr. Wolfe its 2019 “Lawyer of the Year” for Family Law in New Jersey (Newark area). In recognizing Mr. Wolfe, Lawdragon stated “proving his diverse litigation talents, Wolfe represented Katie Holmes in her New York divorce from Tom Cruise and successfully defended a hedge fund against an $8 billion RICO claim.” The New Jersey Law Journal also noted “Wolfe has excelled at both ‘bet your company litigation’ and high-profile matrimonial disputes.” Please note that no aspect of advertisements or any other accolade listed have been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Learn more about the standard methodology for each award listed.
The 2021 edition of Chambers High Net Worth has ranked Jonathan in Band 1 for High Net Worth Family/Matrimonial in the state of New Jersey. Wolfe is one of only three lawyers to receive this recognition, which Chambers explains “identifies the leading professional advisors to the Private Wealth market in New Jersey.”
In August 2019, Jonathan was sworn in as Chair of the American Bar Association’s Family Law Section. He previously served as a member of the American Bar Association’s Executive Committee, Board of Governors and House of Delegates, and is a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. He has held numerous other leadership positions in the American Bar Association. He served on the Board of Trustees of the New Jersey State Bar Association, the Executive Committee of its Family Law Section, Chair of its Young Lawyers Division and received its 2008 Professional Achievement Award.
Jonathan and his matters have been widely featured in the national media, including, among others the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Washington Post, New York Post, Wall Street Journal, Chicago Tribune, New York Daily News, USA Today, Dateline NBC, Fox News, NBC Today Show, Bloomberg, and Reuters.
Jonathan lectures across the country to lawyers, judges, accountants, financial advisors, and business valuation professionals. He is regularly called upon to present to local and national bar associations, accounting associations, and financial institutions on topics ranging from keys to successful litigation techniques, handling high profile matters, business valuation, discovery of hidden assets and income, and the treatment of trust assets in divorce. His presentations include:
- How to Discover and Prove the Existence of Hidden and Overseas Assets and Income, National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts/Institute of Business Appraisers (Florida).
- The Treatment of Trust Assets in Divorce (various)
- The Keys to An Effective Deposition, American Bar Association (Webinar)
- 10 Tips For Handling a High Profile Matter, Keynote Speech Oregon State Bar Association Family Law Section (Oregon)
- Estate Planning Issues In The Divorcing Context, Wachovia Private Wealth Management Seminar (New Jersey)
- Matrimonial Law in the Tri-State: Distinctions Every Matrimonial Practitioner Must Know, Association of the Bar of the City of New York (New York)
- Depositions Gone Wrong: Taking an effective Deposition, Law Education Institute (Colorado)
- Handling the High Profile Matter, New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education (New Jersey – recurring presentation)
- Financial Aspects of a Divorce Case, American Bar Association (Webinar)
- Similarities and Differences of Matrimonial Law Issues Among New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, Westchester County Bar Association (New York)
- Family Law Year In Review, Association of the Bar of the City of New York (New York)
- Family Law Depositions, Alabama State Bar Association (Florida)
- Family Law From the Experts, Bank of New York Mellon (Washington)
- An Overview of The Year’s Most Significant Family Law Cases, Law Education Institute (Colorado – recurring presentation)
- Overview of Child Custody Disputes in New Jersey, New York County Lawyers’ Association (New York)
- Matrimonial Law In New York – What You Must Know to Effectively Represent Your Client, New York County Lawyers (New York)
- 5 Tax Traps in Divorce, American Bar Association (Webinar)
- Hot Tips from the Experts, American Bar Association & New Jersey ICLE (Florida, Illinois, New Jersey, recurring presentation)
- Asset or Income: Double Dipping in Divorce, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (Webinar)
- Depositions: Rewards and Pitfalls, American Bar Association (Arizona)
- Pre-Nuptial Preparation: 10 Red Flags, Law Education Institute (Colorado)
- Family Law – The Intersection with Federal Law, American Bar Association (Tennessee)
- Only the Strong Survive, the Treatment of Survivorship Interests in Divorce, New Jersey Family Lawyer (2018)
- Unchartered territory of amending prenuptial agreements, New Jersey Family Lawyer (2015)
- How a Trust May Impact Your Divorce Case, ABA Family Advocate (2015)
- Deposition Practice: The New Jersey Experience, American Journal of Family Law (2015)
- Retained Earnings: Prudent Business Practice or Support Dodge, New Jersey Law Journal (2013)
- Building the Financial Aspects of a Divorce Case: Discovery and Analysis of Hidden Income and Assets (2010)
- Grandparent Visitation, New Jersey Elder & Disability Law Practice (2010)
- Prenuptial Agreements: Avoiding the Minefield, New Jersey Law Journal (2010)
- Avoiding Deposition Pitfalls, New Jersey Family Lawyer (2010)
- The Treatment of Trusts in Divorce (2009)
- The Treatment of Intellectual Property in Divorce, New Jersey Lawyer Magazine (June 2009)
- Analyzing Hidden Assets and Income in Divorce, New Jersey Law Journal (August 2008)
- Protecting Your Business from Divorce, Commerce: The Business of New Jersey (March 2008)
- Securing a Term Alimony Obligation, New Jersey Law Journal- Family Law (August 2007)
- Critical Considerations in Matrimonial Agreements: Insurance Trusts, New Jersey Lawyer In Re (January 2007)
- PSEG v. Onyx Renewable Partners, LP and Blackstone Energy Partners , 2018 WL 844143 (N.J. App. Div. Feb. 14, 2018)
- PSEG v. Onyx Renewable Partners, LP and Blackstone Energy Partners , 2017 WL 949464 (N.J. Law Div. March 6, 2017)
- D.G.G. v. B.B.G. v. R.R.F and S.B.R , 2012 WL 2813824 (N.J. App. Div. July 11, 2012)
- Senior Settlements v. Growth Trust Fund, 2010 WL 1401398 (3d. Cir. April 8, 2010)
- Caprio v. Caprio, 2010 WL 183862 (N.J. App. Div. Jan. 21, 2010)
- Interlink Group Corp. v. CWT Farms International, 2009 WL 10671365 (D.N.J. July 30, 2009)
- Allman v. Allman, 2009 WL 874499 (N.J. App. Div. April 3, 2009)
- O’Brien v. Miller, 2009 WL 775425 (N.Y. App. Div. March 26, 2009)
- Senior Settlements, LLC v. Growth Trust Fund, No. 05-777 (JBS), 2008 WL 2036777 (D.N.J. May 9, 2008)
- Waggoner v. SSBT Ltd., 549 U.S. 1209 (U.S. Supreme Court 2007);
- Correspondent Servs. Corp. v. JVW Inv. Ltd., 524 F.Supp.2d 412 (S.D.N.Y. 2007);
- Correspondent Servs. Corp. v. First Equities Corp. of Florida, 442 F.3d 767 (2d Cir. 2006).
- Connors v. Deutsche Bank National Trust, et al., No. Civ.A.05-2236 (DMC), 2006 WL 1722609 (D.N.J. June 20, 2006), aff’d 497 F.3d 314 (3d Cir. 2007)
- Palladin Partners, et al v. Gaon, et al., No. 05-CV-3305 (WJM), 2006 WL 2460650 (D.N.J. Aug. 22, 2006).
Bar and Court Admissions
Mr. Wolfe is admitted to practice in the state and federal courts of New York and New Jersey, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second and Third Circuits, and the United States Supreme Court.