Property Tax Appeal
Respected, Effective, Innovative
Skoloﬀ & Wolfe is a recognized leader in the area of property tax law. The Tax Department has litigated the value of virtually every type of commercial, industrial and multi-family property. Our attorneys also frequently counsel clients regarding property tax exemption matters and long-term abatements and PILOTs. S&W clients include developers, management companies, ﬁnancial institutions, REITs, hospitals, universities, religious institutions, private equity firms, and insurance companies.
The Department is proud to have assisted clients in the development and stabilization of several of the transformational projects in New Jersey's largest two cities, Jersey City and Newark. In addition to assisting clients in every county in New Jersey, S&W attorneys assist clients throughout the North East and Mid-Atlantic regions. S&W also handles significant matters nationally through its relationship with the National Association of Property Tax Attorneys (NAPTA).
Skoloﬀ & Wolfe has a proven record of results. In recent years, we have obtained billions of dollars in assessment reductions for our clients, including the following assessment reductions:
- Reduced hotel assessment from $421 million to $259 million
- Reduced office assessment from $372 million to $264 million
- Reduced multi-family assessment from $116 million to $67 million
- Reduced hotel assessment from $189 million to $131 million
- Reduced office assessment from $138 million to $64 million
- Reduced multifamily portfolio from $146 million to $93 million
- Reduced super-regional mall assessment from $21 million to $9 million
- Reduced nursing home assessment from $36 million to $10 million
- Reduced power center assessment from $21 million to $13 million*
* All assessments rounded to nearest million
The Department's attorneys include two Board Members of the National Association of Property Tax Attorneys, the current and past Chair of the Taxation Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association (NJSBA), the former Assessor of the City of Newark, and three current or former Chairs of the NJSBA Real Property Tax Practice Committee.
Sought after as speakers in the field, our attorneys have been selected as New Jersey Super Lawyers, named Top New Jersey Real Estate Attorneys by Real Estate New Jersey, and have been quoted or featured in GlobeStreet.com, Forbes.com, Marketwatch.com, The Star-Ledger, NJBIZ, Real Estate New Jersey, and Commerce Magazine.