Jane J. Felton
Jane Felton has aggressively handled all aspects of litigation, with an emphasis in commercial matters and high asset divorces. She has appeared in state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate levels, and has represented her clients in mediations and arbitrations as well.
Skoloff & Wolfe’s matrimonial practice benefits from Jane’s extensive litigation background and her love for “hard cases,” particularly those involving complex business interests, trust assets in dispute, and cases that raise unsettled questions of law. Such cases require an attorney to be steadfast in learning complicated facts and skillful in explaining those facts cogently and persuasively to advance the client’s interests. Those are Jane’s skills in the courtroom. When cases can be resolved amicably, Jane brings her skills to bear in negotiating and structuring favorable settlements while working closely and directly with clients every step of the way.
Jane has also represented business clients in commercial disputes. These client have included among others, financial institutions, a major league sports team, as well as many mid-sized and closely-held businesses, in commercial disputes.
After more than a year of aggressive litigation, Jane recently settled the dissolution of a long term marriage and the distribution of $130 million in assets on the eve of trial.Representative Matters
- Jane litigated a business partnership divorce involving cross-claims of financial improprieties and fraud in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Chancery Division, which ultimately led to her client, a successful designer, winning the appointment of a fiscal agent, a winding down of the business, and the opportunity to rebuild his business anew.
- Jane defended an individual whose net worth was more than $160 million in a palimony suit. After motion practice, the claims against her client were dismissed.
- Jane has successfully litigated the right to compel international discovery through the Hague Convention on behalf of a client seeking information about her spouse’s off-shore assets.
- Jane has litigated and won pendente lite motions restraining uses of marital funds pending divorce.
- Jane negotiated a unique property settlement agreement involving variable alimony designed to account for a divorcing celebrity’s widely fluctuating annual income.
- In a multi-party trial venued in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Chancery Division, Jane served as lead trial counsel in the successful defense a corporate trustee accused of mismanaging trust assets.
- Jane appeared before the Supreme Court of New Jersey in the notable case of Committee for a Better Twin Rivers v. Twin Rivers Homeowners’ Association, successfully briefing an array of constitutional property and speech rights on behalf of a large New Jersey homeowners’ association.
- Representing a foreign national sued for divorce in a foreign jurisdiction, Jane negotiated a favorable out-of-court agreement preserving the client’s United States assets.
- Jane successfully represented a State agency in a statutory property tax exemption appeal before the Tax Court of New Jersey.
- After more than a year of litigation, Jane achieved a favorable settlement of a compensation dispute between her client, a hedge fund manager, and a New York hedge fund.
- Jane won a jury trial for her client of a contract fee dispute in the Superior Court of New Jersey, Law Division.
- Jane represented a pharmaceutical industry consulting corporation in an appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, where she argued the applicability of the commercial bribery statute as a defense to a contract claim.
- Jane has received commendation from the Americans with Diabetes Association for representing disabled students in efforts to negotiate reasonable accommodations in public schools.
J.D., University of Southern California Law School
B.A., Tufts University
Bar AdmissionsNew Jersey
California, (currently inactive)
United States District Court, District of New Jersey
United States District Court, Central District of California
United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit