David B. Wolfe
David Wolfe focuses his practice on representing taxpayers in significant real estate tax matters. He also represents corporate and individual clients in complex civil litigation. He has extensive experience in all types of property tax appeals, including hotel, multi-family, retail, office, industrial properties, assisted living and skilled nursing facilities. He frequently counsels clients regarding property tax exemption matters, abatements, and PILOTs. David also routinely performs property tax due diligence and tax projections for institutional clients.
David is proud to have assisted clients in the development and stabilization of several of the transformational projects in New Jersey's largest two cities, Jersey City and Newark. He represents taxpayers in every county in New Jersey, throughout the North East and significant matters nationally through the firm's relationship with the National Association of Property Tax Attorneys (NAPTA).
David has obtained billions of dollars of assessment reductions on behalf of his clients, including the following assessment reductions on behalf of his clients:
- Reduced hotel assessment from $421 million to $259 million;
- Reduced office assessment from $372 million to $264 million;
- Reduced hotel assessment from $188 million to $131 million;
- Reduced multifamily assessment from $116 million to $67 million;
- Reduced nursing home assessment from $36 million to $10.1 million;
- Reduced super-regional mall assessment from $21 million to $8 million;
- Reduced power center assessment from $21 million to $13 million*
* All assessments rounded to nearest million
David serves on the NAPTA Board and as the Co-Chair of the Real Property Tax Practice Committee of the New Jersey State Bar Association (NJSBA). Chair of the NJSBA Taxation Section, Mr. Wolfe has been featured or quoted in a wide variety of local and national publications, including Forbes.com, GlobeSt.com, Marketwatch.com, The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal, Law.com, Law360.com, The New York Law Journal, and Commerce Magazine.
He began his career as an associate at the law firm of Davis Polk and Wardwell in New York. While at Davis Polk, he focused his practice on regulatory investigations, securities litigation and banking disputes.
David served as Co-Chair of the ABA's Diversity & Inclusion 360 Presidential Commission and as a member of the American Bar Association House of Delegates for several years. As a young lawyer, Mr. Wolfe served as the Chair of the ABA Young Lawyers Division, the ABA's largest entity with more than 130,000 members.
David received his J.D. from New York University School of Law and graduated from Cornell University with distinction in all subjects.
Selected Seminars/Speaking Engagements
- "Value-Add Investment in New Jersey" BisNow New Jersey Repositioning Summit, March 2019:
- "Industrial & Logistics: Outlook 2019" BisNow NJ 2019 State of the Market, Jersey City, NJ. February 2019:
- "Real Estate Tax Appeals: Update 2019" NJ Institute for Continuing Legal Education, January 2019:
- "NJ Multifamily 360: Still Strong and Growing in the Face of a Potential Macro-Economic Shift, Rising Interest Rates, Regional Politics, and Construction Challenges?" Eighth Annual Apartment Summit., Newark, NJ. November 2018:
- "The Jersey City Revaluation" Second Annual Jersey City Summit for Real Estate Investment, Jersey City, NJ. November 2018:
- "Mini Metropolises: The Work-Live-Play Phenomenon" RealShare New Jersey, Florham Park, NJ. September 2018:
- "Newark's Retail Evolution & Mixed-Use Mania" Fourth Annual Newark CRE, Newark, NJ. July 2018:
- "Jersey City Revaluation Update" Sixth Annual Gold Coast, Jersey City, NJ. March 2018:
- "Real Estate Tax Appeals: Update 2018" NJ Institute for Continuing Legal Education, January 2018:
- "Emerging Submarkets: From the Gold Coast to Newark & Harrison" Seventh Annual New Jersey Apartment Summit, Florham Park, NJ. November 2017:
- "Predicting the Impact of the Jersey City Revaluation" Marcus & Millichap Town Hall, Jersey City, NJ. November 2017:
- "Value Add & Investment Opportunities" BisNow NJ Multifamily, Jersey City NJ. October 2017:
- "Jersey's Office Sector: A Perspective from Market Leaders" RealShare New Jersey, Florham Park, NJ. September 2017:
- "Analysis of Newark Fundamentals & Property Tax Appeal Update" Third Annual Newark CRE, Newark NJ. July 2017:
- "The State Ordered Jersey City Revaluation and Its Potential Impact on Jersey City Real Estate Taxes" Fifth Annual Gold Coast & Multifamily Summit, Jersey City, NJ. March 2017:
- "Real Estate Tax Appeals: Update 2017" NJ Institute for Continuing Legal Education, February 2017:
- "Transactions: Getting Deals Done in the Garden State" RealShare New Jersey, September 2016:
- "Real Estate Tax Appeals: Update 2016" NJ Institute for Continuing Legal Education, February 2016:
- "When a Stranger Calls: Municipal and Third-Party Property Tax Appeals." New Jersey Lawyer Magazine, April 2017 No. 305
- DBW - When an 'Error' Presents an Opportunity: The Impact of William L. Collins 1998 Trust v. Borough of Cresskill." Taxation Law Section Newsletter Vol. 34, No. 1/October 2014.
- "When an 'Error' Presents an Opportunity: The Impact of William L. Collins 1998 Trust v. Borough of Cresskill." Taxation Law Section Newsletter Vol. 34, No. 1/October 2014.
- "Commercial Property Tax Appeals in New Jersey" Commerce Magazine, January 2012.
- "What do New Jersey property owners need to know about Assessor's requests for Income and Expense Information?" in Mid Atlantic Real Estate Journal
- "Depositions - Disaster Planning 101 - The Expert Can Make or Destroy the Case Here - And How to Fix it, if Need Be." NJSCPA Litigation Support/Damages Conference
- "The Silent Killer: What New Jersey Attorneys Need To Know About Chapter 91" N.S.J.B.A. Taxation Section Newsletter.
- "Current Planning Issues for New Jersey Tax-Exempt Organizations." ICLE Seminar Materials
J.D., New York University School of Law
B.A., Cornell University
Bar AdmissionsSupreme Court of New Jersey
Professional & Bar Association Memberships
New Jersey State Bar Association
Co-Chair of the Real Property Tax Practice Committee
Chair of the Taxation Section