Jonathan W. Wolfe
Direct Dial (973) 232-2988
Direct Fax (972) 232-2989
Mr. Wolfe focuses his practice on sophisticated business litigation and significant matrimonial disputes. He began his career practicing as a member of the Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy litigation department in New York.
Mr. Wolfe utilizes his background in financial disputes to represent leaders or the spouses of leaders from the business, professional and entertainment/sports communities in complex matrimonial matters. A significant portion of his practice is devoted to business valuation, the treatment of trust assets in divorce and the protection of non-marital assets. He also assists clients in all other aspects of matrimonial and family law, including custody, parenting time, and the negotiation and preparation of prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.
Since joining S&W in 2003, Mr. Wolfe has continued to represent publicly and privately held corporations, partnerships and individuals in complex, high-stakes business litigation. In a victory that received national media attention, Mr. Wolfe successfully defended a hedge fund and an individual against $8 billion civil racketeering and conspiracy claims. He has experience pursuing and defending a wide range of business and investment disputes, including claims for breach of contract, fraud, negligent misrepresentation, breach of fiduciary duty, securities and accounting fraud, tortious interference, unfair competition, breach of restrictive covenants, and misappropriation of trade secrets. He has successfully represented plaintiffs and defendants at the trial and appellate levels in the state and federal courts in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania and the United States Supreme Court. He also frequently serves as local counsel for out of state law firms.
Mr. Wolfe and his matters have been featured in national and local media, including Dateline NBC, Fox News, NBC Today Show, Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, Business Week, New York Post, Consumer Affairs, National Law Journal, Law.com, Star Ledger, New Jersey Lawyer, New Jersey Law Journal, American Journal of Family Law, Commerce Magazine and NJBIZ.
Selected Professional Awards and Recognition
Mr. Wolfe is a frequent author and lecturer on a wide variety of legal issues throughout the country. He has served as a member of the American Bar Association’s Executive Committee, Board of Governors and House of Delegates, and is a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. He has held numerous leadership positions in the American Bar Association Family Law Section and General Practice and Small Firm Division, including Chair of its Family Law Committee. He has served on the Board of Trustees of the New Jersey State Bar Association, the Executive Committee of its Family Law Section, Chair of its Young Lawyers Division and received its 2008 Professional Achievement Award. He also was named one of New Jersey’s 2008 top “40-Under-40” business leaders by NJ BIZ, and has been selected for inclusion as a SuperLawyer or Rising Star in each edition of New Jersey Superlawyers since 2006.
- Overview of Child Custody Disputes in New Jersey, New York County Lawyers’ Association (New York 2011)
- Matrimonial Law In New York - What You Must Know to Effectively Represent Your Client, New York County Lawyers’ Association (New York 2011)
- The Keys to An Effective Deposition, American Bar Association (Webinar 2011)
- 5 Tax Traps in Divorce, American Bar Association (Webinar 2010)
- How to Discover and Prove the Existence of Hidden and Overseas Assets and Income , National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts/Institute of Business Appraisers (Florida 2010)
- Hot Topics in Family Law: Collaborative Law Trends in Alimony, Same Sex Matrimonial Distribution, and Others, National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts/Institute of Business Appraisers (Florida 2010)
- Depositions Gone Wrong: Taking an effective Deposition, Law Education Institute
- Matrimonial Law in the Tri-State: Distinctions Every Matrimonial Practitioner Must Know, Association of the Bar of the City of New York (New York 2009)
- Hot Tips from the Experts, American Bar Association (Illinois 2009)
- Hot Tips from the Experts, Institute of Continuing Legal Education (New Jersey 2009)
- Discovery and Analysis of Hidden Assets and Income in Divorce, Law Education Institute (Colorado 2009)
- Similarities and Differences of Matrimonial Law Issues Among New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, Westchester County Bar Association (New York 2009)
- Support Modification in Today’s Economic Environment, New Jersey State Bar Association (California 2009)
- Hot Tips from the Experts, American Bar Association (New York 2008)
- Asset or Income: Double Dipping in Divorce, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (Webinar 2008)
- Depositions: Rewards and Pitfalls, American Bar Association (Arizona 2008)
- Pre-Nuptial Preparation: 10 Red Flags, Law Education Institute (Colorado 2008)
- Financial Aspects of a Divorce Case, American Bar Association (Webinar 2008)
- Family Law Update, New Jersey State Bar Association (California 2007)
- Family Law – The Intersection with Federal Law, American Bar Association (Tennessee 2007)
- The Treatment of Trusts in Divorce, Law Education Institute (Colorado 2007)
- Estate Planning Issues In The Divorcing Context, Wachovia Private Wealth Management Seminar (New Jersey 2007)
- Drafting Premarital Agreements, Aspen Publications (2011)
- Grandparent Visitation, New Jersey Elder & Disability Law Practice (2010)
- Prenuptial Agreements: Avoiding the Minefield, New Jersey Law Journal (2010)
- Avoiding Deposition Pitfalls, New Jersey Family Lawyer (2010)
- Building the Financial Aspects of a Divorce Case: Discovery and Analysis of Hidden Income and Assets, American Journal of Family Law (Spring 2010)
- The Treatment of Trusts in Divorce, American Journal of Family Law (Winter 2009)
- The Treatment of Intellectual Property in Divorce, New Jersey Lawyer Magazine (June 2009)
- Analyzing Hidden Assets and Income in Divorce, New Jersey Law Journal (August 2008)
- Protecting Your Business from Divorce, Commerce: The Business of New Jersey (March 2008)
- Securing a Term Alimony Obligation, New Jersey Law Journal- Family Law (August 2007)
- Critical Considerations in Matrimonial Agreements: Insurance Trusts, New Jersey Lawyer In Re (January 2007)
- Senior Settlements v. Growth Trust Fund, 2010 WL 1401398 (3d. Cir. April 8, 2010)
- Caprio v. Caprio, 2010 WL 183862 (N.J. App. Div. Jan. 21, 2010)
- Allman v. Allman, 2009 WL 874499 (N.J. App. Div. April 3, 2009)
- O’Brien v. Miller, 2009 WL 775425 (N.Y. App. Div. March 26, 2009)
- Senior Settlements, LLC v. Growth Trust Fund, No. 05-777 (JBS), 2008 WL 2036777 (D.N.J. May 9, 2008)
- Waggoner v. SSBT Ltd., 549 U.S. 1209 (U.S. Supreme Court 2007);
- Correspondent Servs. Corp. v. JVW Inv. Ltd., 524 F.Supp.2d 412 (S.D.N.Y. 2007);
- Correspondent Servs. Corp. v. First Equities Corp. of Florida, 442 F.3d 767 (2d Cir. 2006).
- Connors v. Deutsche Bank National Trust, et al., No. Civ.A.05-2236 (DMC), 2006 WL 1722609 (D.N.J. June 20, 2006), aff’d 497 F.3d 314 (3d Cir. 2007)
- Palladin Partners, et al v. Gaon, et al., No. 05-CV-3305 (WJM), 2006 WL 2460650 (D.N.J. Aug. 22, 2006).
Bar and Court Admissions
Mr. Wolfe is admitted to practice in the state and federal courts of New York and New Jersey, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second and Third Circuits, and the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. Wolfe received his B.A. from Cornell University, with honors, and his J.D. from New York University School of Law.