David B. Wolfe
Direct Dial (973) 232-2986
Direct Fax (973) 232-2987
Mr. Wolfe represents commercial and residential taxpayers in significant real property tax matters, as well as corporate and individual clients in complex civil litigation. Mr. Wolfe began his career at Davis Polk and Wardwell in New York, where his practice focused on regulatory investigations, securities litigation and banking disputes.
Mr. Wolfe has extensive experience representing taxpayers in all types of real property tax appeals, including multi-family, retail, hotel, office, and industrial properties. Mr. Wolfe also frequently counsels clients relating to real property tax exemption matters, including in the religious, educational and charitable contexts.
Mr. Wolfe has obtained significant assessment reductions on behalf of his clients, including the following examples:
- Reduced hotel assessment from $188 million to $131 million;
- Reduced multifamily assessment from $116 million to $67 million;
- Reduced office complex assessment from $129 million to $94.8 million;
- Reduced super-market anchored center from $66.9 million to $46 million;
- Reduced big box retail assessment from $21.3 million to $13.4 million;
- Reduced office assessment from $27.8 million to $6.5 million;
- Reduced residential assessment from $18.4 million to $13 million
Mr. Wolfe was appointed by the Supreme Court of New Jersey to serve as a member of its Committee on the Tax Court, and has served as the co-Chair of the Real Property Tax Practice and Procedure Committee of the New Jersey State Bar Association since 2004. Mr. Wolfe is a frequent lecturer on the subject of real property tax appeals, and has lectured annually on that subject and property tax exemptions for the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education. Mr. Wolfe also serves on the Board of the National Association of Property Tax Attorneys.
Mr. Wolfe holds leadership positions in the American Bar Association and the New Jersey State Bar Association. He serves on the Board of Trustees of the New Jersey State Bar Association and the Board of the American Bar Foundation. Mr. Wolfe serves as a Delegate at Large in the ABA House of Delegates, the second New Jersey lawyer ever to be elected to that position. He also previously served as the Chair of the ABA's Young Lawyer Division, the ABA's largest Division with more than 150,000 members.
Mr. Wolfe has been featured or quoted in a wide variety of local and national publications, including The Star-Ledger,
The Washington Post,
New York Law Journal, and
New Jersey Law Journal.
Mr. Wolfe earned his J.D. from New York University School of Law and graduated from Cornell University, with distinction in all subjects.
Selected Seminars/Speaking Engagements:
- "Taking Advantage of Real Estate Tax Exemptions," New Jersey (NJ) Institute for Continuing Legal Education. November 2014:
- Multifamily "Middle Market" Investment Perspective: Formidable-and Growing-Investors with $50-$500 Million in AUM Discuss Strategies in a Booming Multifamily Market" The Fourth Annual New Jersey Apartment Summit, Whippany, NJ. November 2014:
- "Industrial Leaders in the Garden State" RealShare New Jersey, New Brunswick, NJ. September 2014:
- "Property Sectors in Focus" RealShare, New Jersey Breakfast, Newark, NJ. September 2014:
- "The New Gold Coast: How World Trade Center Completion, and the Macro-and-Regional Economies will Impact Overall CRE Opportunities in 2014," Second Annual New Jersey Gold Coast Summit, Jersey City, NJ. March 2014:
- "Trenton & Princeton Multifamily Focus: Analysis of New Buyers and Rental Growth," The Central New Jersey & Greater Philadelphia Apartment Summit, Cherry Hill, NJ. December 2013:
- October 2013: "Property Revaluation & The Property Tax Burden: Analysis of Solutions for Owners," Third Annual New Jersey Apartment Summit, Florham Park, NJ
- "Introduction to Real Estate Tax Appeals" NJ Institute for Continuing Legal Education. December 2013:
- "Real Estate Tax Appeals: Update 2010" NJ Institute for Continuing Legal Education. June 26, 2010
- "Real Estate Tax Appeals: Update 2009" NJ Institute for Continuing Legal Education. June 27, 2009:
- "Real Property Tax Appeals" NJ Institute for Continuing Legal Education. November 20, 2008 –
- Hot Tips in Taxation: 2008: NJ Institute for Continuing Legal Education. October 29, 2008:
- "Introduction to Real Estate Tax Appeals" New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education. September 27, 2008:
- Real Estate Tax Appeals: Update 2007
- Real Estate Tax Appeals: Update 2006
- Real Estate Tax Appeals - Wachovia Private Wealth Management
- Appraisal Institute – Central New Jersey Chapter: "Tax Appeals and the Recent changes in the Law"
- When an 'Error' Presents an Opportunity: The Impact of William L. Collins 1998 Trust v. Borough of Cresskill." Taxation Law Section Newsletter Vol. 34, No. 1/October 2014.
- "Commercial Property Tax Appeals in New Jersey" Commerce Magazine, January 2012.
- "What do New Jersey property owners need to know about Assessor's requests for Income and Expense Information?" in Mid Atlantic Real Estate Journal
- "Depositions – Disaster Planning 101 – The Expert Can Make or Destroy the Case Here – And How to Fix it, if Need Be." NJSCPA Litigation Support/Damages Conference
- "The Silent Killer: What New Jersey Attorneys Need To Know About Chapter 91" N.S.J.B.A. Taxation Section Newsletter.
- "Current Planning Issues for New Jersey Tax-Exempt Organizations." ICLE Seminar Materials